mp
My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

Well, just someone from the Northwest that hops about here and there. Hey there hi there.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

beach

Yesterday I called in for work and headed to the beach. The last time I went I think was with Ginny and her fam way back when so I figured that the timing was way overdue. Jim had just fixed up the bike for me so I was stoked to be able to ride it again. I hopped on in the afternoon and rode the 80 miles to gearhart. It was cool, there was a bit of rain so the road was wet on spots I didn't push it at all, lots of cars passed me.

Anyway, I didn't really want to leave bike in parking lot so took a risk and rode it out on the beach. That probably wasn't the best ideas for three reasons.

1.) Road tires have little to no traction on sand, I felt like I was riding on a slip and slide, every little tire track throws you around.

2.) Kick stands don't work so well in the sand they just sink in.

3.) It was dark when we left, was hard enough navigating the tire tracks with the sun out and I wasn't too thrilled to do it in the dark.

So, most everyone said that I should put bike in luke's trailer. So I did and it wasn't too hard we just used a plank roll it up. However there was some resistance to getting said bike out. I asked to take it out a couple times but got blown off. Finally when we stopped and it got seriously considered the bike had already fallen off the stand, tipped over, the back turn signal was bent (I was able to bend it back) and the back light was broke, not broken off but it was just sorta hanging on. So I wasn't too pleased about it and decided not to express my frustration too much because it wouldn't be edifying.

So I gave into peer pressure and stayed in luke's truck, it might off been a bit more comfortable it I was 2 or 3 inches shorted though, I mostly tossed and turned all night.

Anyway, I left in the morning I was already wet (didn't plan on staying so I didn't bring change of clothing) and I rode to a gas station (I was a little worried about running out of gas). I ate shell food and drunk hot cocoa from a machine. A dirty old guy came up and sat next to me and we talked for a while about shooting seaguls and bikes. He told me that I should get a pressure washer to my bike ASAP otherwise all the chrome would rust off. I took that advise when I got back to portland and sprayed it down.

Anyway, the trip back was raining until I got over the mountians but but then I was soaked head to toe. and my arm was hurting from holding the trottle for so long. I felt like I had 15 extra pounds of water on me I was carrying around and my feet felt like they were under water. Yeah fun times. Note to self, don't repeat this beach trip.

However, I don't want to condemn anyone with writing this so please take this in the way it is ment to be. I am a very independent person and having to rely on others is I place I don't like to be it seems more often than not bad things happen. I just need to not put myself in certain situations like this in the future (IE drive instead of ride in the rain) I was really close to calling a taxi when people were talking about how I wasn't going to be allowed to leave...

Learnings:
1.) Don't ride long distances in bad weather
2.) Don't ride on the beach
3.) Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to rely on others or risk your safety.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave Ketah said...

every day that a man learns something new is a good day!

Monday, 23 July, 2007  
Blogger Mandelle said...

Hehe - My grandfather used to say "every day that you're on the top side of the grass is a good day."

Tuesday, 24 July, 2007  
Blogger W33m5 said...

It was a nice adventure if you asked me. I considered riding my bicycle there and staying the night over, but did apartment stuff instead. I also heard it was going to rain, so that quickly decided for me.

Wednesday, 25 July, 2007  
Blogger Jon said...

Paul, I love it. That's a good story. You'll be able to tell your kids about that one!

Friday, 27 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home