mp
My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

Well, just someone from the Northwest that hops about here and there. Hey there hi there.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Slowness

So we are going through 1st Peter in church and it has seemed to me like we are going very slow. I think a week or two ago someone asked me what we are studying and I told them that we had just started the second chapter of 1st peter.

I was totally wrong. We are so still in the first chapter talking about suffering. We've been talking about suffering for 3 weeks I think. I get it, I think now. I didn't really get it until sunday when everyone (some people?) decided to be transparent and share their woes in front of the church.

Maybe we did need to go at a snails pace because I'm only just now getting that suffering is something real, not in Rwanda or Malawi or old school China.

On a side note, there was some talk about not putting up verses during messages. I have an opinion on this: The goal is to educate. At work we have to take a peer training class and they said that the first thing you do when training someone is to find out about them, their learning style. Some people (MYSELF!) are not verbal learners. It helps me to have something to look at, and as far as pages turning while in the service? Um yeah, so what? It is not like if I read the passage think about it, then decide that the guy speaking is way off in left field that I can actually challenge in front of EVERYONE, that is crazy rude. However, Dave said it was ok if I did that to him when he speaks on Sunday, byuhahaha.

Sunday services have been a part of my life for.... well my whole life and the traditional presentation of information has left me a bit calloused. Don't long for monologue, I long for community, interaction feeling like I'm part of the study of God's word.

Is this just me or does anyone feel the same way?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I'm slow too...
-T

Wednesday, 31 January, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you would have stated your true feelings last night when we were face to face, in community, and in dialogue.

I suppose you preferred to say these things as a monologue.

Wednesday, 31 January, 2007  
Blogger Paulos said...

You know Dave, sometimes I have things to say but don't get a chance.

Wednesday, 31 January, 2007  
Blogger Paulos said...

And I hardly consider a blog a monologue, no one has to sit there and listen to what I say also anyone is welcome to leave comments we can discuss things.

As for tuesday, a few weeks ago I did show up early and we had some good conversation. I showed up (somewhat?) early last week but you were busy, I don't fault you for that.

Thursday, 01 February, 2007  
Blogger Dave Ketah said...

If you show up early on Tuesdays, I will do everything I can to not be busy. :)

Saturday, 03 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home