mp
My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

Well, just someone from the Northwest that hops about here and there. Hey there hi there.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Journey.... hmmm

So I was somewhat unimpressed by this church gathering.

I came in and the first song we sang was cool but we did sing a couple of 7 / 11 songs which I detest. (7/11 = seven words repeated 11 times) It seems shallow to me to voice worship in such a way.

The venue was really nice, and everyone looked all trendy and nice. It was a bit overwhelming to see a group of ritzy dressed people. But like the worship seemed to me the whole experience was a bit shallow. After the singing, the worship leader said that if someone is nearby you go and talk to them. The people I came with left off to say hi to someone so there I was standing all alone, first time to the service.

One dude no backup, easily approachable right?

Guess not, no one talked to me not at all. Several people walked right by me and avoided eye contact. One dude even snagged the chair my friend had gotten and sat at a table with cute chicks. I tried to tell him that the chair was taken but I guess I wasn't loud enough.

However, the pastor gave a really good message about riches. It was very applicable focused and pointed. I can tell God has gifted him in such a way.

So, I am not planing to go back, time to wipe the dust off my feet, however I might be bumming around portland foursquare's site to listen to sermons in the near future :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so I know this is really random. I post on the Kumoricon board and happened to be randomly looking at people's webpages and I totally ran across yours.

Just wanted to say I totally know how you feel. I have experienced so many churches like that. It really is sad how Christians have tried to make christianity so accessible for anyone that the meaning, teachings, and even feeling has been watered down. Because of some past church experiences I have fallen away from God. Right now though it seems like he has been quietly and patiently been calling me back. I guess the only thing really keeping me away from return is the whole idea of "church shopping". Hehe I hate it so much. But I think reading you blog has given me a little bit of hope...I don't know how, but it has. Maybe I should just stop procrastinating and just go for it. Anyways, thanks and good luck with your hunting.

Tuesday, 22 April, 2008  
Blogger Paulos said...

Go with friends or visit friend's church? The idea nearly isn't as overwhelming with some kind of support.

Wednesday, 23 April, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude....
just know that you've got a bunch of people who love you and miss you at ethnos, bro.

Thursday, 24 April, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best church is the one in your heart. All others are there to celebrate with you.
-T

Tuesday, 29 April, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home