mp
My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

Well, just someone from the Northwest that hops about here and there. Hey there hi there.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Not so annoying

Well after pondering what could happen, I first thought that maybe the connection melted down and was all dead like the right headlight a few months after I got it. But the plug seemed fine. And no Wes, I didn't use solder I used splices that you connect with a crimper they are much easier.

Anywho, clutch is starting to slip worse so I know that I need to replace it. I went to Basset auto (they were good to me last time I was there several years ago for new wieldshield) and the guy said yeah, clutch is going out, that can be replaced with a normal one for 880 or high performance racing one for 1087, seeing that my car is only worth $3000 and something I'm going to go with the later.

But before that I tested out the headlight plug with the old fixture and there was nothing, I know it worked before. What got me thinking was that both the high beams and the low beams went out. So I thought there might have been a short or something. Sure enough, there is a belt near where the wires (which with the new lights are way longer than they need to be) the wires were rubbing up against it probally. The metal was showing.

The mechanic said he'd fix it for $70, and that there were 2 fuses blown. For some reason I had it stuck in my mind that I needed a multi-meter to check if a fuse was blown. The desk dude said originally that they can't sell me fuses because they are not a part store but then changed his mind because I was for sure going to get the clutch fixed. I was worried about identifying it but on the back of the panel there was a little schematic about which slots went to which so it was really easy to just look and take out the fuse, sure enough it was black in the middle and the zig had burnt out, didn't need a multimeter to test that. So I taped up the wires round each other a bit and to towards the front with electrical tape (no more exposed metal) and replaced the blown fuses. So now I no longer am one light louie.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job on the headlight!! The tech wanted 70 bucks to fix it, and you probably did it yourself for about 3 dollars! Pays to figure it out yourself if you can!

Friday, 06 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud, if I could give them out, you would get some man points :D

Friday, 06 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home